The most radical evening of the year! Shakti Speak Easy is a Night of Dinner, Dancing, & Speakers in honor of the mighty forests, the funky artists, and peaceful protectors.
The Shakti Speak Easy is a gathering for people from all sides of the political and social spectrum who are ready to engage in social change, political action and environmental solutions. Featuring 6-time US Congresswoman and avid peace activist Dr. Cynthia McKinney, and environmental activist Gloria Flora who served 22 years with the US Forest Service, our night together will celebrate free press, independent media and community-driven action.
Saloons in New England, especially during the prohibition era, were commonly known as "speak-easies" because of the practice of speaking quietly about them, or inside of them, so as not to alert the police. We believe we need these types of spaces again. Not to drink booze but to share ideas, organize and protect our rights in these changing times, along with sharing food and laughter in community.
Our speakers will address solution-oriented responses to issues like the corporatization of the media, incrimination of free speech, degradation of environmental law, and other pressing issues that affect all Americans and the world at large. Both speakers will address how we overcome the mass media's divisive tactics and have much needed conversations about pressing issues of our time. Shakti Speak Easy is an intentional collaboration with people who want to see global change begin in their own communities and are ready to raise their voices and protect their rights.
ALL GUESTS WILL ENJOY:
- Speeches and Q&A with Featured Speakers Dr. Cynthia McKinney and Gloria Flora, two political and environmental heroes with decades of experience as radical leaders in their fields
- Panel Discussion on what we can do as individuals & communities to protect our rights
- Raffle & Silent Auction with goods from our earth-friendly sponsors
- Live Music with Alais Clay, Freedom Movement & Little Star
- Live Painting, Gallery and Art Sale with Ashton Hullinger
VIP GUESTS WILL ALSO ENJOY:
- 5-star Locally Sourced Dinner with speakers, artists & sponsors
- Gift bag from our earth-friendly sponsors valued at over $200
- Special Opening Performance by Little Star
- Live Comedy Hour
- Book Signing with Featured Author TBA
- 3 Complimentary Raffle Tickets
- Complimentary Local Kombucha on tap
- Official Shakti Speak Easy Organic T Shirt
- CD's & Downloads from all artists
- Exclusive Speak Easy Album - Musician Mix compilation
- Signed hardcover of Naomi Wolf's newest book
- Coffee Mug printed with Ashton Hullinger's Rose Photo
MEET THE SPEAKERS:
Cynthia Ann McKinney is a civil rights activist and six-time elected U.S. Congresswoman. Driven by a deep devotion to free the oppressed and see justice restored, Cynthia was recently stranded in international waters and rescued by the Lebanese Navy as she attempted to deliver humanitarian assistance to the besieged people of Gaza during military attack. As an advocate for the disadvantaged and working-class, Cynthia is fiercely anti-war and has continually prioritized fighting injustice and prejudice in the U.S. Cynthia's brave contributions to our civil rights are too many to name, and we are honored to have her join us as guest speaker at the Shakti Speak Easy.
Gloria Flora is founder and director of Sustainable Obtainable Solutions, an organization dedicated to the sustainable management of public lands. In her 22-year career for the US Forest Service she became internationally known for her work to protect the Lewis & Clark National Forest from hydraulic fracturing and the 356,000-acre Rocky Mountain Front from natural gas leasing. Gloria works throughout the U.S. with the Center for Climate Strategies to assist states in developing climate change action plans, and she recently co-authored a report on how Montana can become energy self-reliant through renewable energy, efficiency and conservation. She joins the Shakti Speak Easy as a wealth of knowledge and inspiration on real and effective ways we can protect our precious natural resources.